Tuesday 6 November 2007

Chapter 13

Tom did not believe the plan would work, and was highly surprised to find Olga's mother sipping tea with Saenz when he returned. Saenz saw the startled look on Tom's face and laughed, "Meet Anna, my mother-in-law," he cried, leaping to his tea and almost upsetting the table.

"I am pleased to me you," said Tom, offering his hand.

"He did not believe you would come," said Saenz, still laughing, "he did not believe that the message would get through."

Anna smiled, "have some tea Mr Wilson."

Tom removed his coat, and sat down. "I am more surprised that you got here so quickly. I imagined a journey from the Crimea would take days."

"But I haven't been in the Crimea," answered Anna.

"She is a wanted woman comrade," added Saenz. "She is nearly as wanted as us. Well me perhaps. No one is more sought after than you."

"I don't pretend to understand what is happening."

"How did you meeting with Drimov go?" Asked Anna, handing Tom a cup of hot sweet tea.

"Saenz told you?"

"Of course," replied Saenz, with a dismissive wave of his hand, "I trust Anna like no one else in the world."

"It is not looking good," begand Tom, taking the tea and sipping it. He winced at the copious sweetness of the warm syrup. "Drimov claims that we will have to wait at least a week before he will risk moving us."

"It's an old trick," said Anna dryly. "They always say that. They get someone to help them do a job they are too cowardly to perform and then they leave them to hang. You should not have gone to meet him."

"I did not meet him. There is a dead-letter box in a lamp post by the offices of Pravda. I left him a note two days ago and recieved his reply today."

"It is still unwise to believe these people. I have seen it before. The only way to be safe is to be connected to them, to have a threat that you can use if things go wrong. Even then it is not safe. Because they will twist things. We must keep a distance."

"That is easy to say," remarked Tom, "but given our current situation I don't see that there is much we can do. The routes out of the city are teaming with polcie and soldiers. It would not be possible to leave without the correct papers. And it is impossible for me to contact anyone in the British embassy. Our only hope is Drimov."

"Not our only hope," said Saenz.

"What do you suggest?"

No comments:

stuff